'I Heart Forest Park' Leash
Protect Forest Park and show your love with an I Heart Forest Park leash!
We love our pooches AND the integrity of our streams and lives of ground-nesting critters and these leashes make great gifts that show that you care,
too. This vibrantly-colored and durable leash is a cheerful green with sturdy silver or black hardware.
Fun Facts about Forests, Parks, and Fido
- Portland is home to 33 dog parks offering off-leash opportunities. (That's more per capita than any other city in the US!)
- Dogs that are off-leash and off-trail can stress wildlife to the point of malnutrition
and even death.
- Forest Park is home to over 115 species of native birds, many of which make their nests on the ground. (Please, don't trample the babies.)
- Dogs that go off-trail poop off-trail. Dog waste is a major polluter of urban watersheds,
which is bad news for people and wildlife. Portland's amphibians, like the Pacific Giant Salamander and Red Legged Frog, depend on Forest Park
watersheds for survival.
- Seeds of some invasive plants like to hitch rides on dogs venturing off trail and then spread deeper into other parts of the forest.
- Did we mention it's the law to leash your dog (and scoop its poop) in Forest Park? Violators can be fined $150 per dog.
Remember, you and your dog can help protect Forest Park while appreciating it. To all the dog owners out there reading, thank you for leashing your dog!