Gunderson Employees Volunteer in Forest ParkIn late January, a crew of Gunderson employees joined Forest Park Conservancy staff for a week of trail work and habitat enhancement in Forest Park.
Gunderson, LLC, founded in Portland in 1919 and located on the Willamette River in the Northwest Industrial district, manufactures marine barges and railway cars. During that cold, crisp week in January, the crew of six employees traded their steel-toed boots and welding torches for hiking boots and shovels and contributed a great deal to the park.
Hitting the trail before light each day, the crew maintained 1.95 miles of trail, nearly doubling the trail maintenance done at that point year-to-date. They also tried their hand at masonry and built a 60-foot long rock retaining wall, one piece of a larger trail-widening project they completed on the Wildwood Trail near its junction with NW Springville Road. Mid-week, the Gunderson team spent a day with the Conservancy’s Canopy Weeds crew removing English ivy from Forest Park and adjacent private property off NW Holman Lane.
We are thankful to Gunderson for sharing their employees and to the crew for their good work and high spirits!