Seasonal Position: Trails Crew
Title: Trail Crew Member
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week
Classification: Seasonal, Non-Exempt
Work Location: 2960 NW Upshur St, Portland, OR, 97210
Length of Employment: May 20, 2019 to August 9, 2019
The Forest Park Conservancy (FPC) restores and protects Forest Park, Portland’s 5200-acre urban forest. FPC maintains trails and removes invasive plants
in the park. We also lead educational hikes. Each year, we work with 1,500 volunteers who help us reach our goals. FPC is leading a 20-year initiative
to restore Forest Park and 10,000 acres of public and private land surrounding the park. We are committed to creating a more diverse, equitable, and
The Forest Park Conservancy seeks Trail Crew members for the summer season to support the Conservancy’s mission to protect and restore Forest Park for future generations.
The Trail Crew is responsible for working with FPC staff and volunteers to keep Forest Park's 80 miles of soft-surface trails and access roads safe and accessible by performing trail maintenance and special trail projects.
This is a physically demanding position with a strong technical field component. The ideal candidate will have previous trail crew experience, familiarity
with safety protocols, and possess a desire to create a positive and welcoming atmosphere for volunteers.
Trail Maintenance and Repair
- With direction and support from FPC’s Trails Manager; help assess trail conditions, prioritize, plan and carry out trail maintenance and repair of Forest Park’s 47 miles of soft-surface trails. This work could include tread work, brushing, raking, logouts, new trail construction, rock retaining wall construction and repair, turnpike, drainage, bridge, and split rail fence construction and trail decommissioning.
- Assist with natural area restoration work as needed, including invasive species removal and native plantings
- Assist with tracking and recording inventory of tools and supplies
- Maintain and/or operate tools and equipment including hand tools, small power tools, power wheelbarrows, crosscut saws, and chainsaws.
- Maintain direct and consistent communication with the Trails Manager in order to assist with project preparation, event planning, and tool/equipment/office maintenance.
Leadership and Teamwork
Assist the Trails Manager with project management duties such as delegating work tasks to the trail crew and volunteers, maintaining safety standards and troubleshooting issues or challenges on the project site
- Help train and lead interns and volunteers
- Lead weekly volunteer events
- Professionally represent FPC to volunteers and the public in Forest Park
18 years of age or older
- 1-2 year(s) field experience working on trail construction or maintenance
- Ability to comfortably lift 75 lbs. and traverse uneven terrain for 7 continuous hours, 4-5 days per week
- Comfortable working in challenging weather conditions and terrain
- Basic understanding and skills related to design, construction, and maintenance of soft surface trails
- Experience with basic workplace safety practices and a desire to work safely
- Proficient with hand tools and small power equipment
- Experience working with volunteers, members of the public, and partner organizations
- Self-motivated with a desire to take initiative, be a leader, work efficiently, and communicate well with diverse community groups and Forest Park stakeholders
- Organized, hardworking and able to plan and think holistically in an outdoor, natural area setting
- Familiarity with or First Aid/CPR/AED or Wilderness First Aid or WFR
- Comfortable providing Driving Record in order to drive FPC vehicle
- Familiar with Leave No Trace principles
- Multilingual speakers are encouraged to include that information in their application
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary: $15-17/hour depending on experience
Benefits: Sick time in compliance with the Portland Protected Sick Time Ordinance
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Trail Crew Application” in the subject line.
Applications accepted until March 20th, 2019 at 5pm.
The Forest Park Conservancy is committed to creating an inclusive workplace and seeks applicants from diverse backgrounds.