Trails Assistant Job Opening
The Forest Park Conservancy protects and fosters the ecological health of Forest Park, maintains and enhances the park's extensive trails network, and
inspires community appreciation and future stewardship of the splendor of this iconic, urban wilderness as a gift for generations. Each year, we work
with over 1,000 volunteers to maintain trails, remove invasive species and plant native trees and shrubs. FPC is leading a 20-year campaign to restore
15,000 acres of public and private to ensure the long-term health of Forest Park.
The Trails Assistant works with FPC staff to keep Forest Park's 80 miles of soft-surface trails and access roads safe and accessible. This is a physically demanding position with a strong technical field component. The Trails Assistant works efficiently with FPC staff and volunteers to carry out seasonal trail maintenance and specific trail projects for the duration of the position.
Title: Trails Assistant (hiring 2 positions)
Reports to: Trails Manager
Work Schedule: 5 days, 40 hours/week (includes some weekends and evenings)
Classification: Seasonal, Non-Exempt (May 2016-Sept 2016)
Work Location: Workday starts at 2960 NW Upshur St, Portland, Ore., 97210
Trail Maintenance and Repair
- Assess trail conditions, prioritize, plan and carry out trail maintenance and repair of Forest Park’s 47 miles of soft-surface trails. Maintenance and repair include tread work, brushing, raking, logouts; new trail construction; rock retaining wall, turnpike, drainage, bridge, and split rail fence construction; and trail decommissioning.
- Assist with natural area restoration work as needed, including invasive species removal and native plantings.
- Manage inventory of tools and supplies.
- Operate and maintain tools and equipment, including hand tools, small power tools, crosscut and chainsaws, and power wheelbarrows.
- Train and lead interns and volunteers.
- Help lead weekly volunteer events.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- 1-2 year(s) experience working on trail systems or in a related field.
- Basic understanding and skills conducive to design, construction, and maintenance of soft surface trails.
- Experience working and communicating with volunteers.
- CPR Certified / Wilderness First Responder
How to apply
Email your resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Trails Assistant” in the subject line.
Application deadline is Sunday, May 8th at 11:59pm.
Compensation and Duration
$15/hr, 40 hrs/week
This position runs from May – September
Sick time in compliance with the Portland Protected Sick Time Ordinance
The Forest Park Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection of candidates for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, family medical history, legal source of income, gender identity, political affiliation, or family leave obligations.